Sunday, January 18, 2009

Getting Back on Track






It's been a while since I've had time to get anything on here, and somehow My only poston the woodworking blog got deleted. with my computer expertise, I'd say that there is no chance it happened because of something I did. Yeah, right! 
School has started back, and work is still going on (I consider myself lucky in htis economy), and all this coupled with a death in my wife's family has put me behind in both my school work and my blogging ambitions. But I do see a light at the end of the tunnel. By the end of the day today I will be caught up with school work, and  I also have a little time to catch up here.
As you can see, we had a little snow in the North Georgia mountains this morning. Clockwise from the top are (1) a spruce viewed from in front of our house, (2) the pond about halfway up our driveway, (3) my wife and our dog, Zoe, walking back toward our house from the entrance to our driveway, (4) the front of our house as seen from the driveway, and (5) the view up our driveway from the house. 
Snow excites us. We usually take our vacations in the winter, and our destinations are usually to snowy places. We like the beach, but snow and winter are our favorite travel goals. My favorite trip was a loop we made around northern New Mexico up through central Colorado a few years back. We drove up to Mesa Verde, to take in another one of my favorite things, history, and the cliff dwellings and surrounding high desert landscapes were stunning in the snow. The vistas off the mesa toward the snow covered mountains were awesome, and the cold, clean air so refreshing.  The American west has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, and the snow adds to the beauty. If you haven't been there, go; if you have been there, but not in the snow, go back!
As much as I love the west, I have to say that my favorite region of the country is the New England area. The countryside is beautiful, the Appalachian Mountains not as grand as the rockies, but in their own way, with all the vegatation and greenery, as beautiful. The neat farms  and rolling fields inspire some sort of nostalgia in me, for something that I have neve really experienced, but feels so familiar. And there is so much history in our northeast, from colonial times through the revolution, on up to the present. 
Of all the places i"ve been in hte United States, there is still no place like home, these northeast Georgia mountains. I was born here, and my family on both sides has roots in Rabun County, Towns County, western North Carolina, and Virginia going back to pre-Revolutionary times. My ancestors on both sides came into Rabun County in the first years of the nineteenth century, before 1810, my father's side moving into the county from Buncombe County, North Carolina, and my mothers side from Virginia, making their way through homesteading in Pickens County, South Carolina. So the southern Applachians are in my blood, and no matter where I go, I always feel a sense of relief when I get back into north Georgia. 

No comments:

Post a Comment